Saturday 16 May 2009

The Gospellers

My friend Chieko is a big fan of a Japanese band called The Gospellers. They're a 5 man vocal group who started as an a cappella group and now also do a lot of light pop and soppy ballads. It's not really the kind of music I usually listen to but when Chieko wanted to someone to go to a concert with back in January 2007, I was happy to oblige. It was a fun night out so last night we went to see them again!

I wish we'd been able to take pictures because I really want to show you what they were wearing. Hot pink lame suits. With hot pink shirts (of a slightly different hue). Later things improved when they changed into white shirts and trousers, but then they went and put on white jackets with sequin-encrusted lapels... Another amusing element of the concert was the dancing. Those guys really can't dance. They do all the little moves that seem to be compulsory for Japanese boy bands but they just don't really seem to pull it off.

But one of the things that I like about this band is that they don't take themselves too seriously. They had a good rapport with the audience and just seemed to be down-to-earth guys. At one point they performed the Boyz II Men song 'I'll Make Love To You' and while singing the line 'I'm gonna take my clothes off too', one of the guys unbuttoned his shirt. The reaction from the 99% female audience of adoring fans? Frenzied screaming? Nope. Laughter. And so he was then ribbed by his mates after the song...

And another thing I like about them? They really can sing. Last night, in a cappella mode, they did a version of Billy Joel's The Longest Time that was really good. Here's a bit of it (this time in tuxedos...). And here's a clip of one of their hits, performed live, that's worth looking at if only to see what they are wearing. See? And you thought I was joking. Finally, here's the video for one of their most recent singles, called 1,2,3, for 5. Check out the dancing! And I bet you thought you were watching Sesame Street to begin with didn't you?

And yes, that guy does always wear sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment