Saturday 21 January 2012

Cheap(er) shipping until the end of January!

I'm afraid that I've been neglecting my shop lately, but there are still lots of lovely fabrics available there, plus a few great Japanese craft books.

Today's shop news concerns shipping. The strength of the yen recently means that the amount I charge for shipping doesn't actually cover the shipping costs. I've been making a loss on shipping for quite some time, and have finally accepted that I need to put the prices up. I don't really want to, but I can't really afford not to.

The good news is that I haven't done it yet! I'll be adjusting my shipping charges on February 1st, giving you another 10 days to place orders at the old, cheaper prices. Pop over and have a look, and see if anything takes your fancy...

3 comments:

  1. I always think of ¥100 as equaling $1, no matter what the exchange rate is as I'm not good at math... Am I losing money too??? Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I always used 100 yen to the dollar for easy reckoning, but it's been way off that for quite some time now. I kept thinking it would change again before too long, but it hasn't ...

    As an example, if you're charging $3 shipping, you're only actually getting 234 yen! To get 300 yen to cover your costs, shipping would need to be $3.85. It doesn't sound much but a loss on every sale is not good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was mulling this over yesterday and got out my calculator. You are right and I've been losing money too. I thought cheap shipping was one of my shops "charm points", but I see I am going to have to increase it too. Thank you for pointing this out. It's a great rate when I go home, but not for living here.

    ReplyDelete