Saturday 11 February 2012

Building snowflakes



K has been enjoying building felt snowflakes lately. I found this activity at My Montessori Journey (there's a link from there to print out the cards) and printed out the cards myself last winter. I stuck the pictures onto card, carefully cut them out and laminated them... and then got discouraged at the thought of cutting out all those little bits of felt. Oh, and then spring was coming (and a baby), and the moment passed.

So a couple of weeks ago, when the ground was covered in snow, I found the cards again and cut out the felt pieces. You know what? It didn't take half as long as I thought it would. I found an old chocolate box to keep the pieces in, so that each shape could have its own little space and so that K could more easily find the piece he wanted. The brown felt for the background isn't really the best colour, but it was just the right size.

So there you have it. DIY snowflake fuzzy felt. K and I looked at some pictures of real snowflakes on t'Internet and talked about the shapes, especially the hexagon bases. Then we both had a go at copying some of the cards, before making some of our own designs too. Later in the day, the Santa hat (who knows why it was being worn in the first place?) got dropped in the toilet. Never a dull moment with these little monkeys...

No comments:

Post a Comment