Monday 12 March 2012

St Patrick's Day Parade

So none of us are Irish, and St Patrick's Day isn't until next weekend.

But that didn't stop us going to Matsue yesterday for the St Patrick's Day Parade and Irish Festival. Actually I went on Saturday night too, to enjoy a few drinks and some live music at 'The Shamrock', an Irish pub set up for just 2 days a year!

Then yesterday the whole family headed out to watch the parade. It was pretty cold and there was even the odd flurry of snow, but we had a good time. We got there early in order to eat our way around the food stalls before the parade began - it's always about food for me. There was everything from Irish broth, quiche and green beer to chicken satay and Thai green curry and we did our best to sample it all. K also enjoyed playing with all these guys who were waiting to walk in the parade...


It's not really a terribly impressive parade, but a bit of fun nonetheless. Led by St Patrick himself (and some boy scouts)...


...there was a marching band (K's favourite part - instruments!), some people juggling and yo-yo-ing, a tin whistle group and more.


The balloon guy surprised me by presenting his heart-on-a-stick to me, not K. I'm very easily pleased :-)



Once the parade had finished, the various music and dance groups performed and were judged(and Vivian's dance crew won, once again!). By then though we were keen to get in out of the cold so we went up to The Shamrock again and had, variously, hot tea, Irish coffee, apple crumble, ham salad, scones and mango juice. Yum!

I drove us back home and on the way all 3 'boys' went to sleep, even when I stopped at the supermarket on the way. Mind you, I fell asleep putting T to bed, and then slept right round to this morning...

Oh, and we did all wear green for the day, but unfortunately it was all hidden away by extra layers of coats. So here we all are! Happy St Patrick's Day!



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading that somewhere near you, had a Saint Patrick's day parade. I’m not Irish either (I’m Italian American but I am Roman Catholic though) and in the US where I lived, there used to always be a very big Saint Patty’s day parade and it was huge and awesome and fun. And even in school, if you didn’t wear green, you’d surely be pinched. Ha ha ha.

    And corned beef and cabbage and potatoes every Saint Patrick's Day. Gee, I haven’t eaten that in forever. : (

    What a good post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps, sorry forgot to say, you look like a very nice family. : )

    ReplyDelete