Tuesday 22 January 2013

My newest toy

I lead a pretty technologically-backwards life. I don't have a smartphone, an iPad, an iPod or a Kindle. I don't have anything that you would term 'a device'. As a result, I don't really know anything about these things, and often feel a bit out of touch with the modern world. I'm not really a technophobe though; it's not that I'm not interested in these things, it's just that I know that I don't really need them and can't justify the expense.

Lately though, I've leapt into the, well, 1990s. I bought an MP3 player. Not an iPod, or another maker's equivalent, but one of those little flash-memory-sticks-with-earphones. I tried looking for one at a big electronics store but the shop assistant looked at me pityingly and informed me that they don't sell those anymore, and that Sony don't even make them anymore. She suggested an iPod Shuffle, but why would I want something where I can't even choose what to listen to?

Anyway, I got one from Amazon: 8GB, with earphones, neckstrap and free delivery, for under 3,000 yen. That's more like it, especially as I used a gift voucher I got with credit card points. I ordered it on Thursday night, got it on Saturday, and used it on Sunday, listening to Radio 4 podcasts on the train to Matsue. (Yes, it's that time of year again. I'm doing children's English interview tests in Yonago, Matsue and Izumo).

The main reason I got it now though, is that I have decided that this year I will join Cian and others in a fun run. Every year, he suggests I run 5km, and every year I just laugh at such a ridiculous idea. Mind you, I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for several of those years! So, I've downloaded the Couch to 5km programme from the NHS and I've got my MP3 player and trainers ready. I got up at 6.30 this morning to go out before the boys got up, got dressed, and was heading downstairs when I noticed it was raining. Really raining. Rather hard. I did consider going out anyway, but then decided to sit down and write about it instead. I'll try again tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment